TRADE TEMPLATE
NEW TEAM:
PLAYER > CONTRACT/REWORKED > RFA/UFA STATUS

IF Prior Team paying part of player Contract post as follows

PRIOR TEAM

PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

BoS Rookie Status Rule Change Idea (for 2014 offseason)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: BoS Rookie Status Rule Change Idea (for 2014 offseason)

Post by Xezus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

I thought we already had a minimum money spent requirement? And no offense to the idea but I would rather just sign some shmuck for 0.5 mil to fill my spot rather than lose a year off buxton. I just see it as a way to force teams to fill up on cheap "talent" especially if they just want to save their remaining cash for the warchest. I am still against anything forcing players to be called up during the year they pass minimums. We already have minimum requirements for AA eligibility. And I'm just brainstorming ways I would try to get out of wasting a year of my top guys

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am

The AA thing is what upsets me, the more that this is all discussed.

I know right now only you and Dustin really have viable AA guys in Yelich/Gray/Cosart, but if there was no AA, those guys are up, getting used, and potentially make for a more competitively balanced league.

I bought the arg of not forcing them up after crossing thresholds, but we never shoulda thought of AA requirements and leaving guys there.

There is just no incentive for you/Dustin to call those guys up.

Thank goodness San Diego told me via text that he fully intends to call his guys up if they win starting gigs. Restored my faith!! hahahahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 am

yep to what Darrin said but even then.

I roughly counted and the league as a whole is 80 players under the 40 man limit.

That's a lot.  

It's unnecessary work for each team and a whole lot of extra processing.  Signing 80 more guys, most of which aren't fantasy relevant ....for what?  So we can hit an arbitrary limit?

If a guy is fantasy relevant, someone will sign him.  I am 100 % against force signing guys that aren't fantasy relevant just to fill spots and that's what Darrin and everyone else will do that don't want to waste a year of eligibility.

I'll be 100% against this and will vote accordingly.

Frankly I think the system is working fine.  Some guys are trying to win now, some guys are building for the future.

Last edited by DmanofGod1 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 am

I have a lot of good pitching.  I don't need Sonny Gray to be competitive.  If I needed pitching, I would call up Sonny Gray.

That way if he struggles, I didn't waste a year of eligibility.  If he's the bomb and I need more pitching a few months into the season to push me into the playoffs.  He will get a call up.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 am

Also guys...we have a warchest.  Always have.  You can't make a rule for a warchest and then when guys chose to use it, save 50 mil and pass on FA that year...punish them for it.

Only three guys that have over 28 mil now.  We are blowing this out of proportion.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

Just an idea if you guys did decide to get rid of AA. i like the rule as is. like i said before.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am

After all this chatter, I just think eliminating AA would make me feel better.

Can't legislate FA spending or the sort. Can't even legislate 'punting seasons,' but if we got rid of the AA thing, then at least guys can only get away with stashing a rookie that crosses only once, not twice.

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm

We not here to make you feel better

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Feel better about competition. 

Dick!

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Without AA this year I would be forced to call up...

Cody Asche (PHI-3B) who is currently projected to be the 1019th best player in fantasy baseball.  Currently outside the top 50 3b eligible players.  Forcing him to be called up this year might actually make me worse when compared to guys i could get in FA.

Christian Yelich (MIA-LF,CF)  currently projected to be the 204th best player in fantasy baseball.  21st best projected LF, and 27th best projected CF.  So essentially in a 16 team league he is projected by yahoo to be a good backup LF and fill in guy.  These are also yahoo projections and not particularly reflective of our own personal projections for minor league guys.

I really see no point in removing AA when almost everyone who sits in AA wouldn't be a starter in a 16 team redraft league.  I fail to see how these guys (and Yelich is one of the top guys in our league's AA system) would help create more competitive balance.  If you held out trout for some reason after he was ranked super high perhaps i could see it. But these guys are young and hopefully going to progress this year, but not to the point where it should make a substantial difference to competitive balance.

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:14 pm

@Xezus wrote:Without AA this year I would be forced to call up...

Cody Asche (PHI-3B) who is currently projected to be the 1019th best player in fantasy baseball.  Currently outside the top 50 3b eligible players.  Forcing him to be called up this year might actually make me worse when compared to guys i could get in FA.

Christian Yelich (MIA-LF,CF)  currently projected to be the 204th best player in fantasy baseball.  21st best projected LF, and 27th best projected CF.  So essentially in a 16 team league he is projected by yahoo to be a good backup LF and fill in guy.  These are also yahoo projections and not particularly reflective of our own personal projections for minor league guys.

I really see no point in removing AA when almost everyone who sits in AA wouldn't be a starter in a 16 team redraft league.  I fail to see how these guys (and Yelich is one of the top guys in our league's AA system) would help create more competitive balance.  If you held out trout for some reason after he was ranked super high perhaps i could see it. But these guys are young and hopefully going to progress this year, but not to the point where it should make a substantial difference to competitive balance.
yup.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Darrin, you miss the point. 

The direct result is so-so. 

The indirect result is likely to have you getting other areas of your team ready. 

You n others have conceded the season by your own admission. You can call that speaking candid or whatever you like, but it's discouraging when teams do not put their best effort.

Those guys are controllable for 6 yrs n already above rookie limits. Another yr on Milb is excessive. 

You may think it doesn't do much in the grand scheme n you could be right, but the integrity of competition looks better. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how your team kicks ass come 2015 n beyond. It's just unfortunate that 2014 will get less than your best effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 pm

I went after a few FA to try and round out my team.  Chris Davis and AGonz got too expensive for my taste.  As SD mentioned earlier in the thread I would rather not pay what I consider to be overpriced FA's  and be stuck with an older player on a big contract for 6 years.  I have learned my lesson to not count on guys that are headed downhill for more than a year or two ala Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and my multitude of other mistakes i've made prior to engaging in a rebuild.  Perhaps McCann would have been a nice buy.  Instead of trying to buy a few average guys and use up a decent amount of cash this year, I decided to buy out more of my "bad" contracts. 

Also placing a player on AA that starts in the MLB guarantees that they will be forced onto the 40 man the next year.  We have the limits on at bats and IP for AA, it creates an extra year of flexibility if we feel they won't contribute to our team by calling them up.  If I was forced to call up Yelich this year (being the only player i have that could possibly improve my team ) it wouldn't really change my overall strategy.

And after I go drop 20 mil on the CC waiver, trade a bundle for Trout, and a bundle for Stanton, there is no way you can say my team last year was more productive than this one should be haha.  Perhaps i have not thrown all my money around for some top free agents but i feel like I have made some good moves to improve my teams potential for this year and beyond.

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Yes, you have made moves n attempted for more. I will not deny that. 

I guess I am just disappointed that y'all let me get whatever I wanted. And it does feel as if token efforts are being made by some teams who are seemingly content to wait another year before really fighting. 

I still believe that even if Yelich hits .400, you would let him sit on AA than being him up. Those guys- if doing well may not bring you to playoffs but could play spoiler n have an affect on other races. MLB demands integrity of competition n it's tricky to in fantasy, but there are ways to spur competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 pm

I feel like the only way to do something like that would be force guys to call up players that are ranked in the top whatever for a certain amount of time.  Like hey this guy is the 3rd best pitcher in baseball for the past month, he should realistically be called up.  But still, for fantasy there are guys that no matter what they do will not make a dent in the standings this year, I don't want to penalize them just so the big dogs have a more accurate race.  Rebuilding teams need almost all the help they can get haha.

This is all going to revolve back to individual interpretation as to how well people think their players can and will do, or how important they are at their current performance levels, which varies among owners naturally.  It would be unfair to go by only yahoo standings of players.

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Makes sense. 

Which is why I conceded on force promotion. 

But the AA doesn't really need to be here. 

We can table this issue til the future, but I am trying to look at a bigger picture here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top