TRADE TEMPLATE
NEW TEAM:
PLAYER > CONTRACT/REWORKED > RFA/UFA STATUS

IF Prior Team paying part of player Contract post as follows

PRIOR TEAM

PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Top 6 pick(s) BOS Run Off (Rule Suggestion)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:10 pm

My goal is to have a competitive league, Race for Championship or Race for #1 Pick.
I want a race! I want us all to think wins! all year long! I hate the whole tank/punt wink wink part of the league.

Ok here is my last brain fart.

BOS top six picks run off.
Teams that finish 11 - 16 in the final standings will get their wins counted, with the wins standing determining the to six picks. NOW here is how it will work
#16 win counts from Week 12 to Week 22
#15 win counts from Week 13 to Week 22
#14 win counts from Week 14 to Week 22
#13 win counts from Week 15 to Week 22
#12 win counts from Week 16 to Week 22
#11 win counts from Week 17 to Week 22

Team with most wins would get #1 pick, 2nd in wins get #2 pick etc.etc to 6th pick.
Tie Breaker – 11-16 Higher ranked team with least time allotted to count wins.

Below is a review of the last two season and how the rule suggest above would have worked out.

2015 Season
16. Durham (week 12-22) total Wins: 6/4/9/7/8/10/8/6/1/7/4 = 70 Wins
15. Ann Arbor (week 13-22) total Wins: 4/5/9/5/4/9/14/4/3/8= 65 Wins
14. New York (week 14-22) total Wins: 6/10/7/3/7/3/4/10/7= 57 Wins
13. Canton (week 15-22) total Wins: 9/8/12/7/6/12/5/3= 62 Wins
12. Texas (week 16-22) total Wins: 9/9/9/5/14/8/8 = 62 Wins
11. San Diego (week 17-22) total Wins: 3/12/7/13/6/8 = 49 Wins

New Draft Result (Current System) : #1 Durham(1) , #2 Ann Arbor (2) , #3 Texas(5) , #4 Canton(4) , #5 New York(3), #6 San Diego(6)

2014 Season
16. Ann Arbor (week 12-22) total Wins: 4/5/2/7/7/11/6/6/7/6/8 = 69 Wins
15. Texas (week 13-22) total Wins: 8/8/2/8/4/3/2/9/8/9 = 61 Wins
14. San Diego (week 14-22) total Wins: 6/6/9/9/5/6/5/4/4= 54 Wins
13. Rocky Mountain (week 15-22) total Wins: 7/9/6/6/6/4/11/7= 56 Wins
12. London (week 16-22) total Wins: 9/4/9/12/5/9/6= 54 Wins
11. Philadelphia (week 17-22) total Wins: 13/10/7/11/1/10 = 52 Wins

New Draft Result (Current System) : #1 Ann Arbor (1) , #2 Texas (2) , #3 Rocky Mountain (4) , #4 London (5) , #5 San Diego (3), #6 Philadelphia (6)

So as you can see there is some jocking in the middle Picks 3-5 in both years, but I think the last four teams have real shot for top pick, and teams that finish in 11 and 12 place can move up a few picks.

IDK give me your thoughts.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Top 6 pick(s) BOS Run Off (Rule Suggestion)

Post by expos on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Love it
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I get the idea behind this but not in favor. 

A) This hurts bad teams long term and good ones short term bc bad teams are more reluctant to trade good players to bad teams. 

B) Bad teams would sign better FAs to cover holes to avoid fines. You want good teams to have the better players bc they could make a difference. Bad teams should sign warm bodies who make no impact. 

C) The results are basically unchanged in either case. I realize this could be an argument for or against, but I'd rather the larger sample size of 22 weeks determine rather than six. I believe my opinion of playoffs being a crapshoot are widely known. Same theory applies. 

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:20 am

I don't agree with this. Why should a team be punished for doing what a good general manager should do? When your team sucks, trade away the assets you have for younger assets/picks, and then rebuild using draft. Granted I traded away my good players last year for future assets, but I didn't tank by any means. I started the players that would have started if I was competing for a playoff spot.

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnscrn on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 am

I have spent a year in the league now and have to say that I didn't see much of the "bad tanking". Most tanking was done the legit way as Eric has pointed out (I call it the Buffalo Sabres way - may not always pay off). With the war chest in this league you would be, very slightly, hurting yourself by signing fillers for the holes you opened up in trades.

that being said, this is what I suggested last year and what I strongly believe should exist in the real sports. You just modified it for easy management and I think it is a fair fix. Unless I hear an amazing argument I'm in.
johnscrn
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:54 am

I am not a fan of this either. I follow the same lines of thinking that Phil and Eric have put forth.

I feel like we have only 2-4 teams that have no realistic shot at the playoffs next year, which im sure is about the same percentage in the MLB. As long as guys set their lineups and are active on the forums, I have no problem with them being future oriented.

I'd be a no vote.

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:41 am

I've always thought complicating the draft to stop tanking is not the best approach. Tanking games or weeks speaks to owner interest / integrity, and the better move would be to remove the offending owner.  Now if this leads to more revolving door ownership searches than the commish can deal with, that might change the equation.
Doug
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 am

OK you guys are talking Tank. i have not seen anyone tank where they are not active. if so they would be removed. this is more about spicing thing up. and i can see most of the guys so far like things as is. which is cool.

but don't mix what i was trying o do with tanking as i dont feel that to be a problem in the league. I also been reading other forum on hows they draft and the two i see the most are.

1) the way we draft.
2) the top pick goes to the team that just missed the playoff etc. so it would for example in a 12 league team with 6 playoff spot the 7th place team get #1, 8 #2, 9 #3 etc. 12th #6, 7th #7, 6th #8 (reward to team that just missed playoffs)

again this was a brain fart idea. and just wanted your views

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 pm

I get you're just trying to mix things up. I also think this is a fix to a non-issue. I could understand the need if teams were tanking in August/September but this doesn't seem to be a problem.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnscrn on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:47 pm

it would give me more to pay attention to at the end of the year if my team is eliminated. my boredom is an issue! haha
johnscrn
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:01 pm

For me, I know everyone expects me to be fully on board. 

But I am not.

HOWEVER, I do think the consolation bracket determining the NUMBER ONE PICK ONLY could be cool.

The couple teams that do not make the consolation bracket still get 2/3/etc, but for the teams that make the consolation bracket, they get something juicy to fight for.

So that encourages teams to fight at the end of the year to get into consolation bracket to have a chance at winning top pick.

But if not, they still get 2/3/4/5 for being as they are. 

This allows teams to determine if they wanna add a lil more to get into that bracket. ANd if not, that is fine as well, as again, they can still get 2 and beyond.

But for the top pick only, that could be cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Sometimes your team just sucks. So I should have to call up rookies a year earlier and trade picks to make a run for the 1st overall pick? And when I dont succeed? What did I waste? Poor get poorer

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:01 pm

That's why a bracket would be for top pick only.

2nd pick goes to that poor team, as everything else stays same.

Have no problem if y'all want the traditional way, as that mirrors milb, or if y'all want Dan's race. 

Just think a blend of both does the bracket for top pick only. That way there can still be a race, but only takes that one pick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Or even if not that, a Comp pick after rd1 for bracket winner.

Always felt we should do something for bracket winner.

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm good either way.
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 am

I don't really care but I don't think we have a problem with tanking.

But we all know mid season teams check out once they know they are out of it.  I guess just a way to keep it interesting. 

Don't care.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmym91 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am

I'm in favor of a team that wins the consolation bracket gets a comp pick (maybe not after round one, maybe more after round 2 or 3, but it is something to play for)
jimmym91
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Dan's idea is creative, but complex. 

For something like his idea, I think it is better to just make the non-playoff teams 1-10. But then that opens up some of the same other issues. 

I could go any way here, but I think the consolation bracket for just the top pick works-- if we must do something. 

Otherwise, maybe Jimmy is right and just do a comp pick at the end of rd 2 or 3 for the consolation bracket winner. That doesn't address late season competition entirely, but gives them something to play for. 

Idk. I'll be rebuilding soon and will just go with whatever. 

Trying to think of ideas that could satisfy everyone, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:34 pm

I guess I just don't see the justification or need to reward someone for winning three weeks in a row. Do we give comppicks to teams who win three consecutive weeks in June? We do not. 

It's not the worst thing in the world if it happens, it just doesn't seem like it's a thing which needs to happen.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:21 am

By that token, why do we reward those who make playoffs with the championship? It's just 3 weeks, after all.

Point is, yahoo has a bracket, and just as those who earn playoffs get into championship, the others earn that bracket.

Why not give em something to play for?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:00 am

Again you guys are trying to complicate something that wasn`t even a problem. We don`t have tanking issues so leave it be
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:03 am

Integrity wrote:By that token, why do we reward those who make playoffs with the championship? It's just 3 weeks, after all.

Point is, yahoo has a bracket, and just as those who earn playoffs get into championship, the others earn that bracket.

I'm in favor of not having playoffs. I get yahoo has a consolation bracket. That doesn't mean I have to give its results any importance
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:52 am

Yeah its why I kind of favor points leagues where there are no playoffs. 

Nothing against Sam but Darrin was clearly the best team all year and our championship is in the very last week of the MLB season where tons of players are getting shut down or sat.  Half my team wasn't playing.  It's hardly a good representation of who is the best team in our league.

I have a clear understanding that it will be the hottest or luckiest team in the end that wins it all but we can probably all agree that Darrin deserved to win.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:26 pm

thephilipbrown wrote:
Integrity wrote:By that token, why do we reward those who make playoffs with the championship? It's just 3 weeks, after all.

I'm in favor of not having playoffs. I get yahoo has a consolation bracket. That doesn't mean I have to give its results any importance

Do you give anything any importance, though? I mean, all we ever hear is what you are against; but what are you FOR?

And... in real life, they have a playoff system..and the goal is clear, you have to earn the right to make the playoffs, and then perform best when it matters.

As per Dustin, Sam had a plan of depth, and it worked out. He deserved his title.

I will concede one thing, though. And while Playoffs do work more for real life, in fantasy, it is def a bit incomplete since as Dustin also illustrated, a team can have half their staff (or lineup or whatever) be sitting for that one week. 

A more accurate representation would be for a 2-week final. Doesn't make it 100% foolproof or anything, but gives more of a feel for a better team to show itself. 

And while our premise is reliant on MLB to have their games and their players' stats, we are still operating in a virtual environment as if we were really baseball owners. In that sense, a traditional set up of season and then playoffs works. 

But with that said, Points/Roto leagues do make sense for fantasy since we cannot get that guaranteed effort of our players in the final weeks when teams do rest players, etc. 

Points leagues can be a little hokey, but I would not be opposed for us trying a Roto format if everyone wants/believes it is a "Truer Championship."

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:11 pm

How much time, energy, and conversation do we want to spend on a "consolation" bracket.
Doug
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Just depends on what it's for.

If it's top pick, then it's really worth it.

If not, then not much.

But I offered the suggestion since Top Pick Only seems more palatable than 1-6 in a run-off. Easier to track as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:07 pm

But I suppose there is a big flaw to the Consolation Bracket idea vs the Runoff.

Runoff is for bottom 6 to adjust 1-6 diff ways while 'racing.'

Bracket is for the 10 non playoff teams to earn 6 seeds and then fight for the pick.

Does disadvantage the bottom 4- who need the picks most. Would still leave them 2/3/4/5, but then if another Bryce comes along, then that potentially horrible team does miss out. 

Maybe just leave traditional pick measures in place.

But in thinking about Roto vs Playoff, may be fun to try Roto for a couple of years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Why should the consolation bracket be rewarded? They lost they are done. If they were deserving they would have advanced. This is just another worthless conversation about a non issue
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Well the idea- spawned off of Dan's idea-- is that the non-playoff teams would be having some sort of race of their own.

The goal/general idea, imo, seems to be to keep everyone competitive and active all season.

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Its just caught between a rock and a hard place

If we don't have playoffs, then people don't have anything to really play for once they don't think they can't get first so the playoffs makes things interesting and I like that.

Then again, the championship being a one week face off where lots of players aren't playing isn't great either.

As for the original topic, it would add some excitement but there's the guy whose team really sucks and so he goes into this playoff and he of course doesn't win because he has the worst team and then it ends up the team that deserves the top pick the most to rebuild... doesn't get it.

I'm not sure why I comment because I don't care either way lol but I probably vote no on this as I don't see a huge problem with tanking.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top