PRIOR TEAM

PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Clayton Richard/ TOPIC MOVED to Rule Talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clayton Richard/ TOPIC MOVED to Rule Talk

Post by nostratimus on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:31 pm

signing to replace Guerra, shut down for season and no SP replacement.
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Clayton Richard/ TOPIC MOVED to Rule Talk

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:48 am

why did you cut Edinson Volquez (KC-SP) 
he is a replacement that can be used. 

emergency player FA is for when no replacements? you had a player on roster to replace Guerra.

DL Exception. 
Teams are allowed to sign replacement player to allow compliance with full roster.

Last edited by HELLFISH on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:58 am

I have asked 
Jimmy
Eric, 
Mark 
and CJ

to review this Tim. 
I dont want to make this choice of not allowing you to make the pick up, we are in a match up. i post my 2 cents and let them review and post if allowed or not

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnscrn on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:26 am

I don't know the rules on cutting so that you don't have a replacement. It seems you should not be able to do that.
What am I missing on Collin McHugh? He could replace too right? He doesn't have another start this week but Guerra was shut down before his last start.
johnscrn
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmym91 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:38 am

@johnscrn wrote:I don't know the rules on cutting so that you don't have a replacement. It seems you should not be able to do that.
What am I missing on Collin McHugh? He could replace too right? He doesn't have another start this week but Guerra was shut down before his last start.

I was also going to say that McHugh was a consistent starter (pitching every 5-6 days) and Volquez was too. 

I don't think the spirit of the rule is to DFA players that are playing to make room for better stats in FA. 

I understand the Guerra shutdown, but that leaves TOR with Cueto, Fernandez, Sale, McHugh, Estrada, Hill, Happ, *Volquez (should be allowed to reverse DFA). Those are 8 viable starters which is the max you can start during a matchup anyway. 

Argument in favor of TOR was that when Volquez was cut that left him with only 7 starters, so he was not able to maximize the rule set in place (8 starters). So my suggestion would be that teams can add FA starters to get to the max of 8 that can be used by playoff matchups but not more. Guerra was also used this week, so TOR has 8 starters used for the matchup even without Volquez. 

The other argument in favor of TOR is that Cueto is hurt but not on the DL, may or may not go. Which is tough on a team. 

In summary:
My opinion is Volquez (should be put back on TOR roster if he wants) and McHugh are still viable options and that DFA'ing a player to make a need is not the spirit of the rule. Also, the rule should be modified to allow teams to add FA if they fall below the maximum of 8 SP per matchup, as long as they are not creating the need themselves.
jimmym91
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:17 am

I agree with Jimmy

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:07 pm

I think Jimmy said it best. I agree with him. My opinion on the rule is that it never should have been made to start with. You position your self with the best roster you can before playoffs and go with what you have. Injuries happen they are part of the game. I don`t see the need  for playoff teams to have special privileges to make their rosters complete because of injury. If you have 7 of your 8 starters healthy you are good to go imo. So imo Toronto had viable roster then had an injury. Deal with it. It`s part of the game. 

Just to be clear I`m not against Tim personally just the rule that I feel he is trying to circumvent.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Okay, yea I saw he cut Volquez and I was like wtf....

Guys should only be able to add a FA if they can't possibly find anyone to play from their 40 man and AA exceptions.

That's not the case here and Tim should know better

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 am

Just to clarify with all:
- I've been using mchugh and he's not the issue. I moved him to the 50-man to make room for another reliever mid week since we're allowed for the playoffs. Now if you check when I used Volquez last, you'd have to go waaaay back. The rule book doesn't state any deadline for releasing players so I was totally following the rules. Now if there was a deadline for releasing players, Volquez would've been released eons ago as he's been shot and I knew I wouldn't have called him up for the playoffs. 

I'm okay if that's your argument for not letting me release Volquez and sign another SP. If you think this is a loophole in the rules, then please add a deadline to releasing players. 

As for D telling me that I should know better...it's funny you say that since we're now allowed to access AA players to help playoff teams. Well, it's clear that this rule benefits teams with a huge farm and you obv had no problems with the rule being brought up and voted on.  Let's just think about this for one sec...

A) team won't call up milb player(s) during the season to keep their contract from starting. But they're allowed to call them up in the playoffs for 200k to help make their team better, not even as an injury replacement.

B) team has an injury/player shut down. Blocked from signing a replacement to help his team in the playoffs. Blocked from releasing players even tho it's. It in the rule book. 

The idea of being able to call up milb guys without their clock starting was to help playoff teams with injuries and player shutdowns. All of a sudden, that turned into a discussion that morphed into a 50-man roster and milb players being used freely at will. No injuries necessary. 

Tell me if there isn't a milb bias here, esp to all those teams who tanked and built up there farms. Let's talk rules each year and add incentives that benefit your team's goals. But wait, Tim's roster has an injury replacement need and wait a sec, he should know better! Let's force him to use one of the worst SPs in the second half just because he didn't release him before the release deadline. Oh wait, there is no release deadline so let's just tell him it's not right and he Js no other options.
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:08 am

Oh you want to talk about injuries

Let me know when you have 4 top 30 pitchers go out for the season in Gray, Harvey, Degrom and Salazar. Having injuries on your team is not an excuse to not use a healthy pitcher you have just because you find one better in free agency.

Injuries happen to everyone this time of year. Thats why its crucial to have tons of depth. The trade and free agent deadlines are for everyone to load their roster and get their ducks in a row befor playoffs. If you don't like the milb rules, we can re-vote to make our league less like the MLBs expanded rosters and not favor playoff teams that have also built for the future. Though I don't have a rookie who will affect these playoffs (Urias in pen). Don't know about other teams though it doesn't look like TJ has one either.

You are right, we should also make the free agent deadline also the deadline for dropping people.

That way we don't have playoff owners trying to use the injury rule to actually just improve their team and sign a better pitcher than the one they have.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 pm

So let's go back several seasons and you'll remember that the main issue with signing replacement FAs after the FA deadline was bc guys had no player to roster at a position for a matchup,  leading to an illegal roster and subsequent fine. Or pitchers were shutdown due to innings limits and so teams were given the opportunity to replace if they had nobody else.  So yes, it sucks that you have 4 top pitchers getting hurt...that's a part of the game. Just like Mark said. Guerra was shut down, not injured. 

Btw, I'd take what Guerra has done in the second half over whatever Richards has been doing...not sure what you're talking about. He got shut down, logically, I'm looking for a replacement. 

But yes, let's add the deadline to release in the rule book to address this. Sure, why not revisit the 50-man rule and see how it should be applied. For injury replacement only or to be used freely as is. I'm sure most owners will choose to keep it since almost every owner has decided to rebuild or play fantasy farm at least for a few seasons in this league. Listen, I'm cool with what you've all decided about Guerra/Volquez/Richards. Won't deny that in trying to make my team the best it can be for each matchup, while following the rule book. 

However, if we're going to start talking about what I was trying to do as completely wrong, then let's be consistent and look at the purpose of this 50 man roster and why we're even doing it bc this was not a solution to a problem. There was never a problem. If you want to play your milb, call them up, pay them, and start their clock. 

Anyways, semis are just about done and BoS championship just around the corner. Good luck to the 4 involved. Gonna be a dogfight Dan!!!!
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am

I think the 50 Man roster worked well. 
and yes lets just close the loophole on cutting players. 
i Think all transacts end at the close of FA! but we should exend FA to the last week of the season. 

we will discuss this in off-seaon GM meetings.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am

this this be voted on. 
add  a Close Transaction Dead Line at end of season
same date ass the 50 Man Roster deadline (when will call up A Minors to AA)

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince21 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 pm

So, I missed this little debate fest (since, you know, I didn't really have a reason to pay too much attention to my team - just wait, in like 10 years, you're all going to get it...). But, couple of points:

1) 50 Man Roster: This doesn't exist in the MLB. All I've seen is people saying this should be more like the MLB. So..why are we able to use more players than the 30 MLB teams. We don't have more than 30 teams in this league. So our fantasy teams SHOULD already be more loaded than an average MLB team. Hence, we shouldn't need 50 players. Like, ever. Also, everyone is saying we need to find ways to spend more money. Why is it cheaper to use an extra MiLB player, instead of starting the clock? I really need to go back and review the league rules (they're laying around here somewhere), but what is the ruling on calling them up? Can we call them up, and then send them back down without starting their clock? I guess this just doesn't make any sense to me. If we have rules to allow us to pick up FA due to injury to avoid having illegal rosters, then that's it. THAT is how you avoid illegal rosters, not getting to use one of your 60 MiLB players in an expanded, made-up 50-Man Roster. Otherwise, call them up and pay the price of going for it all. It's a gamble, it's always a gamble. That's what it makes it more fun. I mean not for the guy that calls his young studs up, loses and has to start paying sooner. That sucks for them. But it sure makes it more fun for those of us that are just watching the playoffs!

2) Dropping Players Deadline Thingy: Yeah...this is trickier. I mean, this is seriously a decision between following the original Fantasy Baseball ways; and acting like this is real-life baseball. FB: You drop and add guys until the last game/match has started. RLB: Screw you, you didn't sign X before the deadline, LOL, #loser, good luck next year suckah! Since we have trade deadlines, free agent deadlines, monies deadlines, roster deadlines, weekly move deadlines, headline deadlines (c'mon, it rhymes twice!! Very Happy ); I feel like this is the option we're going for. Makes teams really need to focus on/decide how they're going to build their 40-Man Roster for the playoffs. I really feel like the only exceptions that should be made outside of only those 40 guys, is if you are going to have an illegal lineup. This is supposed to be like the MLB, right? Injuries happen, championships are lost, the Red Sox get swept by Cleveland (Cleveland? CLEVELAND?? I mean, they didn't even have Carrasco... Also, can we give Andrew Miller the Best of the Playoffs trophy for pretty much carrying them?). That's part of the game (everyone else is using this phrase, so I'd feel weird if I didn't too, #partofthegroup). So from there, it'd be up to the league to determine if only FA are allowed to be used in this scenario, or if teams are allowed to dip into their A teams, promote them to AA and start their clock. I think either would be fine, honestly.

Just the new guy's 2 cents on things that don't effect him because his team is still that bad. Laughing 

@DmanofGod1 wrote:Injuries happen to everyone this time of year.  Thats why its crucial to have tons of depth.  The trade and free agent deadlines are for everyone to load their roster and get their ducks in a row befor playoffs. If you don't like the milb rules, we can re-vote to make our league less like the MLBs expanded rosters and not favor playoff teams that have also built for the future.
You realize, that the current rules are less like the MLB expanded rosters right? And most definitely favor the team with the loaded farm system. Argue this however you want, but both teams have the 40-Man Roster (whoever has the better players is better right?) Adding 10 more players favors whoever has the best 10 A players. Which doesn't make any sense. Why should someone get to use these players for free, as they see fit; yet the FA pool is not able to be used the same way? Your first 3 sentences say everything that needs to be said. I mean, maybe I'm way off base here (I'm the new guy, I still don't feel super confident with all the intricacies of the rules for this league, and you guys have been playing in this league for I assume years), but what was the reasoning for having a 40-Man Roster and then making it a 50-Man Roster..?

Ok, I think that's all I've got on this, until I get lambasted from everyone. Don't worry, I'm bracing myself extra hard, cuz my skin ain't so tough. Wink
Vince21

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:31 pm

the 50 man roster does not mean you can just call up. 
and that mean you have a full 40 man signed going into playoffs and 10 AA MiLB, which most team dont. 

now during playoff we have yahoo 25 man roster. with access to up to 25 other player in case of injury! INJURY or SHUT DOWN. 
before every match up you still have post your weekly moves. 

no it not a true 50 man roster. you can make moves during the week only if there is an injury/shutdown. 

now this is a loop hole. where in year past if you did not have replacement to could sign emergency FA. cut a player is not an injury and you should not be able to sign replacement if you do that.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm

see rule, for full detail
40-Man Roster & DL
5-5. Week 20-22 & Playoffs Roster

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince21 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 pm

scratch scratch scratch Ugh. Guess I'm spending tomorrow memorizing the rules (again) and creating a list of prospects
Vince21

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:26 pm

No to a vote, rules are fine as is

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down