PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Compensatory picks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compensatory picks

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Here is something to think about. These are MLB rules

Teams can earn Compensatory picks in the draft based on departing free agents. Free Agents are ranked by the Elias Sports Bureau based on their previous two years of playing, and against players of similar positions. Players are categorized as either Class A or Class B, or they fall into the category of all other players. Below is a description of each free agent class and the compensation the free agent's former team received when the player signs with a different team.

• A Class A free agent is ranked in the top 20 percent of players at his position. A team that signs a Type A player gives its top draft pick to the club that the player is leaving; that club also receives a supplemental pick in the "sandwich" round between the first and second rounds. [25]

• A Class B free agent is ranked below the top 20 percent but in the top 40 percent of players at his position. A team that loses a Type B player receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose a pick.[25]

• All other players carry no compensation at all. There had previously been a third class of "Type C" players, but that was eliminated in the most recent CBA.[25]

To earn a compensatory pick, a free agent must either be signed before the arbitration deadline in early December, or be offered arbitration by their former team but still sign with someone else.

Compensatory picks that one team gives another via this method are the highest available pick that team has, except that a top-15 pick cannot be lost. If a team owes two other teams draft picks via Type A free agents, the team whose departing player had a higher score gets the higher ranked pick. A team cannot lose picks it has earned via compensation. Also, the first 15 picks in the draft cannot be lost via compensation, so a team that is in that rank would give up their second round pick.

The order of the supplemental round between the first and second rounds is determined by inverse order of the previous year's standings. All the Type A picks are done first, and then the order resets for all the Type B compensation picks.

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a supplemental round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

Admin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Compensatory picks

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:55 pm

we could do this for our RFA's

Admin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:46 pm

i like this, i wanted this last year. the idea is good

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 am

I don't like it. Since there's draft pick trading, how do you work around someone who has traded their 2 but signs an A guy?
Just b/c it's a rule in mlb doesn't mean it has to be one in our league. I mean, last I checked, there's no trading of picks or a salary cap. We're already breaking two tenets of baseball there.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:39 pm

I'd have to agree with phil here as well, if the guy is a RFA you have the opportunity to re-sign the guy if you are willing to pay his price and if the team that signs him doesn't have the right picks to land this FA does he just not have a shot at him???

Plus we are already trading draft picks this doesn't happen in the mlb its nice to get close but impossible to be exactly the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Trading draft picks does screw it up some.

You don't need a certain pick to land a f/a. If u get a type a the team gives u there best pick plus u get an extra pick (the sandwich round)

Type b u only get 2nd round sandwich round. The other team doesn't give up anything.

I could see where it could be a problem with how we trade our draft picks. Maybe just the sandwich round picks on type a's? At least this way u get something and it will make those players with expiring contracts worth a little extra like real life.

Admin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 pm

SANDWICH at end of first! is going to be the way to go on this! i like this more then discussing trade with highest bidder (I.E. Hoops Rule)

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Here is the curret rule

RFA Sandwich Round Pick Award: If a team submits a qualifying offer of the minimum of 2 years @ $12.5M per season to one of their RFAs and loses the player in free agency to another team, the player's previous owner will receive a compensation pick in a "sandwich round". The sandwich round is a round in between the 1st and 2nd rounds. The team signing the player does not lose any picks.

I would like to change the rule and it would be for 2014 or 2015 offseason

sandwich picks awarded
1st round A (6 Year Offer)
2nd round B (5 Year Offer)
3rd round C (4 Year Offer)
4th round D (3 Year Offer)
5th round F (2 Year Offer)

Propose Rule:
RFA Sandwich Round Pick Award: If a team submits a qualifying offer to one of their RFAs and loses the player in free agency to another team, the player's previous owner will receive a compensation pick in a "sandwich round" base on the number of years team opening offer (See Scale Above). The sandwich round pick will be at the end of the round awarded. The team signing the player does not lose any picks.

Sandwich Round Draft Order: The order of the sandwich round will be the same as the rookie draft order. If a team has multiple picks, the team will not pick back to back, but will pick again after all teams in the sandwich round have made a selection.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 pm

so it doesn't matter how much money as long as it's the minimum for that year?  

Here's the thing, even MLB changed it so that it's not compensation picks anymore.  They did this because compensation picks got out of control with like 20 at the end of rounds thus devaluing the next round after.  Now they do it so that if you sign someone else's RFA, you have to give up a pick in that round.  

Idk.  What's the reason you want to change it?

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm

i was all set to say that i only like the sandwich picks with $$$ attached, but seeing as how you put years attached and lowered the rounds, it makes a lot of sense

id like to hear more before i make an official decision but def think this is something to vote on

as it stands, only cc got a comp pick last yr and only a couple may this yr

ur way allows an owner to just let go and get a lil something, even if the guy isnt a high priced guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top