PRIOR TEAM

PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Salary based on standings...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Salary based on standings...

Post by nostratimus on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 am

I know we're trying to scale things back a bit with JI taking over the helm. However, I was a big fan of Team Salary based on the product out there...it brings some equity into this league.

Bravo's proposed 3 year avg was a good way to counter sudden drops and rises from year-to-year and I think this part doesn't require a whole lot of work and is done in the off-season anyway.

I can't remember the vote results, if it even went to a vote, but I do remember many owners liking there idea.

So I can volunteer to handle this part of it if we want to reinstate it. With the summer's off, I have no excuse not to be able to help out a little more.

I'm thinking abut this because there are many teams with a tonne of money and they'll continue to have it as long as they keep rolling it over and building their prospects. So their actual fantasy product will suck but they'll keep getting the same amount to spend as the top teams who are very productive but watching their FA competitiveness slip? I'll let JI decide if he wants to do something about this...It won't start until next off0season anyway so there's no impact this year.
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Salary based on standings...

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 am

The only thing I'd like you to consider is there is a lot of money but not just for the reason you mentioned. Of course there is going to be a lot of money when you add 4 expansion teams and give them 160 mil each. That's 640 mil that you just injected into the league and said "have at it"

I was one of the ones that spent a lot on my farm system but so far I'm also the biggest mover in free agency. I've tried to have a good balance and I won't be putting any money in my warchest.

I'm for your idea because it is similar to MLB but I'd rather wait a year or two to give the expansion teams a shot before we make any decisions based on money or standings. I just don't think it's fair on top of the founding teams keeping their top 15 players to not give the expansion teams any picks in THIS year's 10 round rookie draft and then judge the expansion teams based on how they do THIS year... remember a lot of us had to spend quite a bit of money to get into that 10 round rookie draft. I'm not saying the expansion system was unfair. I just think it might be unfair to make financial judgments based on how we do this year.

I just ask that you keep that in mind. I'd ask that you give us a year to get on our feet and not do too much too quick.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:59 am

That seems fair.

I understand your perspective from an expansion team owner and I understand the amount of money this year is due to the 4 expansion teams.

What I'm trying to prevent are some teams who will try to abuse the system and just keep rolling over max salary while theyre not competitive and then all of a sudden, they have a tonne of money to spend to go with their maturing top prospects that they drafted.
We all know that's what Bravo was trying to implement so I'm just voicing that out before it becomes a bigger issue.

nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:15 pm

i was thinking of after the yr, upping bonuses for not only where we finish but for awards and all of that-- to make them much more than they are now so whether you win it all, or hold an award winner, you can earn some dough

but, if you think you can come up with a system like we were gonna use, it'll be something to look at

while i may be 'running the show' so to speak, this is a joint effort with all of us and good to see you're willing to do more

we'll have a chance to really go over everything and see the best way to proceed, and in a way that doesnt lead to constant tinkering like jb did, but to where we can get a system in place and then just enjoy it

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Would anyone be interested in adding draft spending into our cap equation? Using my team as an example, I would be charged the $4M Bundy signed for and the $6M Josh Bell signed for, as soon as I drafted them. Teams might have to consider to I spend my money on the major league product, or do I spend it on the draft. Just an idea, but you will hear that some professsional organizations like Pittsburgh and Kansas City for example, choose to spend on the draft rather than sign big time FAs.
Doug
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

@Doug wrote:Would anyone be interested in adding draft spending into our cap equation? Using my team as an example, I would be charged the $4M Bundy signed for and the $6M Josh Bell signed for, as soon as I drafted them. Teams might have to consider to I spend my money on the major league product, or do I spend it on the draft. Just an idea, but you will hear that some professsional organizations like Pittsburgh and Kansas City for example, choose to spend on the draft rather than sign big time FAs.

Interesting but a lot of work to be looking up every player's signing bonus (including undeclared latin guy that signed when they were 16 and 3 years later turn out to be a good prospect)

Also the money that real major league teams spend on the draft is hard to be accounted for. Yankees may have a 190 mil team salary but probably spend another 30-40 mil in drafting and developing their farm... just a lot to keep track of. That money does not factor into their major league salary but comes from the wealth of profit made from TV deals, advertising and product sales, not even counting ticket sales.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Im diggin the salary scale thing with the standings. As for the bonus in draft that seems a bit of a reach to me to look all those up and track them, However I think we should have a system where there is some kind of revenue stream happening, punish the guys who hold all the assets by having them pay a portion of their payroll to be distributed among the bottom teams ( maybe like top 4 teams have to pay), and only the bottom 4 per say get the cash.

It benefits the expansion teams, which should happen, considering we have a major disadvantage as the "vets" are hoggin all the superstars, and we had crap to choose, besides the farm guys... Just throwing it out there

Back to top Go down

Post by itssamman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Dbacksfan4ever wrote:Im diggin the salary scale thing with the standings. As for the bonus in draft that seems a bit of a reach to me to look all those up and track them, However I think we should have a system where there is some kind of revenue stream happening, punish the guys who hold all the assets by having them pay a portion of their payroll to be distributed among the bottom teams ( maybe like top 4 teams have to pay), and only the bottom 4 per say get the cash.

It benefits the expansion teams, which should happen, considering we have a major disadvantage as the "vets" are hoggin all the superstars, and we had crap to choose, besides the farm guys... Just throwing it out there

Matt, why should we punish owners who know what they're doing?
Whats the difference between 'hogging' all the superstars (who are getting paid in large amounts) and 'hogging' all the prospects?
itssamman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

[/quote]Matt, why should we punish owners who know what they're doing?
Whats the difference between 'hogging' all the superstars (who are getting paid in large amounts) and 'hogging' all the prospects?
[/quote]

Can't agree more!
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 pm

samistheman wrote:
Matt, why should we punish owners who know what they're doing?

I say no bonuses. Why should we reward the owners who know what they're doing, when they already are one up on us dumb owners?

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Was Prince Fielder available sam? Albert Pujols? Roy Halladay? Hell No!!

We picked guy who had bad contracts or were bums besides obv tex, V-Mart, etc....

Is it really even sam, if we have to wait years for our guys to even compete for a roster spot, while the "Vets" compete every single year with their studs per se???

Im just trying to Install a system where we Have a shot at some point within the next 2 years of even competing!

I am not bitching at the way it went down, Im just saying if we were to create a system It needs to have benefits to the bottom teams so we dont have the "Yankees and Red Sox" of BOS hoggin everybody.

As for the "Why should we punish owners who know what their doing?"

Lets think very hard here sam , expansion teams have very little asssets to begin with so if we have very little assets to begin with, U really think its even ground?? HaHa

Why do you think im trading almost everyday?? Why do you think expansion teams, besides Akron have new looks since the draft?? Its because we HAVE to do this if we want ANY shot of competing with the "Vets". Albert Pujols Doesnt grow on trees every year, Clayton Kershaw doesnt come around very often etc...... we have to gamble on the kids, which It is what it is, but to have no system in place for the bottom teams, to give them any hope to compete, is Ludacris if you ask me... Just throwin my two cents in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm

relax, sam was just trollin' you

and it worked, lmfao

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Im just giving my point Commish thats all lol

Back to top Go down

Post by itssamman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Matt, you knew what you were getting into when you took a expansion team.

Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Absolutely! I Love the challenge Believe me, again just giving my two cents in haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 pm

there are teams that werent competitive before expansion so lets not go throwing a pity party for the expansion teams
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:45 pm

plus, doc was made available to everyone

look at the crap i traded him for LOL

as u can see, expansion teams were able to use their assets to get superstars, ie justin upton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks to bravo throwin his bitch fit LMAO!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 am

@Doug wrote:Would anyone be interested in adding draft spending into our cap equation? Using my team as an example, I would be charged the $4M Bundy signed for and the $6M Josh Bell signed for, as soon as I drafted them. Teams might have to consider to I spend my money on the major league product, or do I spend it on the draft. Just an idea, but you will hear that some professsional organizations like Pittsburgh and Kansas City for example, choose to spend on the draft rather than sign big time FAs.

Took a closer look at this. And it's just too much.

The thing we could do though, is have a slot system for where our draft picks have to be paid a bonus based on where they are drafted, but even that is a competitive disadvantage.

These types of changes would alter the draft and devalue the currency that losing teams get by finishing lower.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top