PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

BoS Rule Idea- CASH Traded

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BoS Rule Idea- CASH Traded

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:30 am

After talking to Mark some, here is what we're kinda thinking:

Limit CASH traded to +/- 50 on the year. Can pass $$$ back n forth all day, but have to stay within +50 or -50 at all times throughout the year. 

You can only send 10% of our total cap in any one trade, which is 17.5mil.

So in essence, the max cash in one deal is 17.5mil and the max cash overall is plus or minus 50 at all times.

Note, this DOES NOT include $$$ paid on deals, as that is another issue entirely. Teams pay on other contracts all the time and should not be included in this. This is for CASH traded only.

Thoughts??

Back to top Go down

Re: BoS Rule Idea- CASH Traded

Post by Xezus on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 am

I like it! I think this is at least a good starting point and we can see how it works for a while. This still allows people to use cash as an asset without getting too crazy

Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:44 am

Yea. Only two teams went over +/- 50 last yr.

AZ +69.05, AKR -56.75

So, we're all pretty much in line with that kind of spending anyway.

And, 17.5 mil is still a significant amount to send out in any one trade.

Should work.

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:38 am

I like markets to be free. If you have an asset & someone will pay for it, it's the price of doing business. I dislike regulation but if it appeases the "everything has to be fair" crowd, so be it. Just no salary floor
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:40 am

Like JI said we hashed this out and came up with this. Not exactly what I`d like to see but I feel it`s a good compromise. We need to curb the cash sent in trades and this looks like a decent solution so I`m in.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 am

Why is it so imperative we limit cash transactions? Or rather, why do we need a rule doing so? 

It's just as easy for an owner to say "No. I will not send you $7 mil in this trade". Or other people can ask for more money in trades. Neither of these actions are difficult & much easier to remember than yet another rule.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:24 am

i agree with Phil on this one.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 am

If there is not some sort of control put on deals like this there will be long term ramifications. I know we have`nt had any problems recently but there have`nt been any trades like this either. If you guys don`t want any type of cap you are opening a huge can of worms that will bite the league in the ass eventually. The proposal suggested is very loose and should not change the way anyone does business.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:53 am

If I had won the title, I was serious about selling Bryce Harper to Darrin for 75million CASH.

I wonder how that would have affected things.

Now, I'd like everything to be completely free too, but, given there are concerns, this is a good compromise.

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 am

It might happen one day. I doubt it bc we do a pretty good job of self-regulating & saying no when prices get steep. 

Please explain the long term ramifications bc I can't think of any
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:41 am

If you let a deal like this go thru with that amount of cash then others will be the same or worse because you can`t oppose them because you let this one go. Eventually it could spiral out of control thus the down fall of the league.

JI you know as well as I do that that $75 mil for Harper would never fly.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:01 pm

I contend that a flat 75 mil for Harper (meaning no other assets) would have been a great deal for anyone buying Harper, altho sticker shock woulda been cray for the league.

But your overall point about the effect of other deals is important and I agree for the most part. Though as always, everything should be on a case by case thing.

But, our safeguards that we came up with (or well, stole from Dustin) are pretty solid, imo. It isn't perfect but does enough to satisfy most concerns.

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 pm

When is the last time a player was sold in MLB?

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Babe Ruth went for 100k! 

theres precedent!!

um, i kno cash has gone for many others- just no one significant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 pm

but the option is there in real life

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:53 pm

It COULD happen but it WON'T happen. This is a wholly unnecessary safeguard. You can count on at least 1 no vote when this comes up. 

Regulation stifles innovation
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Part of me wants to fight any change, but as I've said, putting cash at +/- 50 and 17.5 max per deal isn't really gonna change much, but helps others feel it's more fair, so I'm game.

Plus, as noted also, only two teams were over +/-50 last yr anyway. And not by too much, so it's not like this will have widespread ramifications.

I just won't get my 30 freakin Million Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:27 pm

I get that. Part of why I'm not sure this needs to be a rule
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I hate any rule that imposes trade restrictions in a keeper league, this one included. Why can't owners decide for themselves what is best for their club. The guy gave a chunk a cash. 1 year of kemp or beltre. So what. He got trumbo. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Dont institute rules that restrict trading.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 pm

17.5 M? That's ridiculous. What's the point again? Why are we instituting this rule? Because one smart owner has some incredible amazing young talent and is selling them at market value? Free market is the best way. If people overpay that's their problem. If I have 50 million laying around I would rather buy harper than pay for Hamels and Reyes. Reconsider!
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:01 pm

@expos wrote:17.5 M? That's ridiculous. What's the point again? Why are we instituting this rule? Because one smart owner has some incredible amazing young talent and is selling them at market value? Free market is the best way. If people overpay that's their problem. If I have 50 million laying around I would rather buy harper than pay for Hamels and Reyes. Reconsider!
+10000000000
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

With this rule, this deal wouldn't happen. Prospects might not pan out. Az could make a doc of cc like signing at 4 years 20 mil and trumbo could be the best value player in the league, as well as league MVP! I heard people complain that this deal makes the strong teams remain strong but I think it also allows the weak teams to remain weak. Let owners decide for themselves with restrictive rules. Sorry. Too many posts.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Wait, I got this deal for trumbo? Sweet!!!

I OPEN BIDS SO LAZY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO...
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:56 pm

It does seem funny to limit the $$$ in one transaction when we can have diff transactions equal much more than what is sent in one.

But, I sorta think we should at least be firm on the +/- 50mil thing since any more than that and we risk teams potentially just funneling way too much $$$ to teams when they are completely rebuilding. That aspect at least assures that teams need to save $$$ to build up decent/respectable rosters.

I don't necessarily like the 17.5 thing, but I'll adjust if the league has it. Maybe vote on each separate issue and see what people think??

We can talk n talk all day, but it seems +/-50 will be the number for overall cash traded during the yr and 17.5 will be the number for single transactions, so why not get a vote going???? It can be 'unofficial' if Dan thinks it's too early or not.

Just not sure what too much more chatter will yield when we've already heard so much..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top