PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Draft Picks

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Draft Picks

Post by expos on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Not sure if this is a problem in this league because I haven't been part of it long enough and I didn't notice any team purposely fielding terrible teams in order to improve pick position.

It also might be too late to introduce any new rules but I happened upon this idea and I think it's brilliant and something we should consider regarding tanking (Adam Gold's idea which was presented at the 2012 Sloan Conference - www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=5496):

Top draft positions are awarded based on points earned after playoff elimination. Once a team is officially out of the playoff race, it starts the clock on amassing points toward its draft position. Bad teams still get an advantage (because they're eliminated earlier), but the emphasis is on winning, not losing.

Teams will still want to win cats, even if eliminated in order to improve draft spot. Also you wont have the issue of teams giving away crazy studs for nothing because they will want to remain competitive to get top pick.

Just an idea...
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Draft Picks

Post by DmanofGod1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 pm

interesting, though instituting such a system in a fantasy league would be a lot to keep track of

I like the idea of teams trying to win all the time

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm

I think if we had a problem with tanking it would be something to look into. I don`t see a problem here tho
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 pm

It's not so much tanking...it's the teams not caring about winning

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I agree. Don't think there is a big tanking problem but this system encourages teams to always try and win and rewards those teams to win. Maybe some teams would trade a prospect for a MLB bat if it meant moving up the draft order. Also it wouldn't be tough to track. Pretty easy to figure out when someone is eliminated.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Same thing. Tanking, abandoning,not caring the results are the same
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm

And the main reason I like it is that it is very frustrating when you are going for a playoff spot and you see your opponent with a matchup that is a super easy win. This system rewards teams to win all the time and if that opponent is facing a weaker team trying to move up the draft order, might be a tougher matchup.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nostratimus on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm

I like the idea for the sake of trying to win.  Not so much tanking but keeps bottom teams "honest" by setting their line-ups daily.  We've all experienced linueps that are not always set where it's a non-playoff team vs a playoff contending team.  Result, match-up has playoff implications!

Again, not a serious issue but I still like it.
nostratimus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 pm

here is what we can do

the teams that finish out of the playoff hunt get the best pick based on record

so, if i finish 7th place next yr, i get the top pick and so on

it gives incentive for teams trying to win, as they can miss the playoffs, but then get the best pick to try pushing the over the hump next yr

tho, then people wud say that someone would rather finish 7th than 6th, as its very hard for a 6th place team to win it all...but id rather be in the playoffs with a chance for it all than nothing

or we do a lotto of all non playoff teams--- dan can draw the names out of a hat on a Live Stream!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Why do we have to change anything. There is not a problem here. You guys just want to change for the sake of change.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, they are trying to ensure that teams care about winning.

I understand every team has a different plan and there are some who are just building for the future, but in enacting something like this, it ensures teams play hard for the current season as well as plan for the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm

At the same time, with how horrible Phi/Tex were, it makes sense that they have top picks to look forward to for a glimmer of hope.

It's just unfortunate that teams may prefer to bottom out each year and only have minimum fill-ins, rather than fight for more wins.

I can see how that's a, gulp, competitive balance issue, lololol (sorry phil)

I will say tho, both Phi/Tex have made efforts during the yr/fa to sign vets to fill spots, so they are spending some $$$.

But a system that puts draft picks in the order of non-playoff finishes does encourage more competition which is healthy for all.

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't feel like this has to be changed as its not a major issue. Giving 1st overall pick to 7th doesn't really allow bad teams to get better through draft. 

My suggestion will give even 16th overall a good shot at first as long as they field a competitive team all the way through. Its not a huge change from what we have. The weaker, lower teams still have the best shot at the top pick, it's just that they have to try and win some games down the stretch to get it.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 pm

This league is getting out of control. Every little item has to scrutinized,dissected,hashed over all for the realistic feel. To that I say bullshit. This is fantasy and you will never be able mimic mlb. Having the salarys rfa, and some of the other stuff is a pretty realistic feel. What happened to being able to run your team the way you want to? I personally am getting tired of everything. This is becoming overkill.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Mark always gets so mad!

I say we rename him "Grunkle Mark" (inside joke)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:44 pm

I`m not mad I`m frustrated. This is just overkill. We have a system that works fine but nooooooooo we gotta fuck with it for the sake of change.
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

i read this article a few months back. way too much work but a great idea.

for now we should just stay as is. shadow MLB

but i would love to see this in one of the major pro leagues.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:58 pm

i say we dont do anything since mark has to be a grunk about it

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 pm

There are always going to be good teams & there will always be bad teams. It happens. I set my lineup daily & I sign guys on the cheap if someone is hurt. In a league where there's a total of 640 MLB roster spots signed for multiple years, there isn't much available to sign sometimes. 

I'm not going to trade someone to fill a temporary hole just bc my opponent may be in the playoff hunt.
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MistaDuMa on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Isn't the way to prevent teams not setting the lines up be to kick them out of the league? That seems like a pretty strong deterrent lol
MistaDuMa
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 am

Again i think this was a great Idea, but just don't think we need it.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

I love the concept and Was just throwing it out there as an idea, wasnt looking for a huge debate.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Peter, don't take it personal! Mark likes to hate everything

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballbasherz on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:33 pm

That`s one of the privilege`s of being the elder statesman of this group of mistfits
Ballbasherz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

I'd be careful of the unintended consequences this could cause. Under the proposal as I'm reading it, a team's draft position is awarded based on what they do after being eliminated from playoff contention. Well, if a team is eliminated from playoff contention, it's because they aren't a good team, and if we're talking competitive balance, should be given a crack at players that can improve their team. Now, let's say this team once eliminated, is now scheduled to play division leaders over the last three weeks of the season. This bad team gets their clocks cleaned three weeks in a row because they just don't have the players to compete. Should we penalize an already bad team if they are making their daily line-up adjustments? If we decide to go forward with this, it needs to be on a case by case basis. Let the LM contact the owner that seems to have lost interest, and if there is no satisfactory answer to an allegation of tanking, then start taking away draft picks from the offending team. I don't see this as an issue with the league and the ownership group as currently constructed.
Doug
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:27 pm

But if you understand the system, this still keep the competitive balance because bad teams start getting wins once eliminated from playoff contention. It punishes teams who throw away games to get top pick. I stated from the start that I don't think that's happening here. This system prevents exactly what you stated. If you are eliminated with 3 weeks left, would you not want to win as many games as possible to improve you draft spot. Rather than throw those 3 weeks to move down in standings?
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Dam i would love to see this used in real life. I don't think it could work in fantasy.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:35 pm

And those really bad teams who are eliminated with 5 or 6 weeks left will have a jump start. The way I figured it out, the worst teams still get top picks (as long as they are fielding a team that can win some cats) but the teams eliminated with I only a couple weeks left are encouraged to play best lineups to move up standings. 

Making a bigger deal than it is..only thing that changes is that teams have to make sure they are fielding teams and not shadow teams. Worst teams still gets top picks and those teams eliminated closer to playoffs are encouraged to still win.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by expos on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:38 pm

This is the downfall. If a guy like Lebron or harper comes along. Teams would field the worst possible lineups to become eliminated and then make deals to grab guys to become powerhouses and win that guy. Pretty cool but could be a big problem.
expos
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by thephilipbrown on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:03 pm

@HELLFISH wrote:Peter, don't take it personal! Mark likes to hate everything
I thought hating everything was my job
thephilipbrown
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down