Salary Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TRADE TEMPLATE
NEW TEAM:
PLAYER > CONTRACT/REWORKED > RFA/UFA STATUS

IF Prior Team paying part of player Contract post as follows

PRIOR TEAM

PLAYER > CONTRACT PAYMENT

Headline News
Powered by RSS Feed Informer

Ilya Kovalchuck (Retired)

+3
Xezus
ericdm70
DmanofGod1
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ilya Kovalchuck (Retired) Empty Ilya Kovalchuck (Retired)

Post by DmanofGod1 Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm

I take it I will get back all his salary.

What's the rules on this?  I don't see him coming back but if he does,...does he come back on my roster?

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Ilya Kovalchuck (Retired) Empty Re: Ilya Kovalchuck (Retired)

Post by ericdm70 Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Kovalchuk is 30, so you can void up to two years. Darrin will have to help with how that gets paid, $7 up front, or split for thr 3 remaining years.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm

dang, he retired? wtf??

used to be one of my faves when i watched hockey..

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:00 pm

I would say if you take the two years money back and he comes back he will be a FA. And why not just let you structure the 7mil left over similar to a buyout
Xezus
Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Wait what? ...so the devils get back all their money but i dont ...? For a 30 year old. Thats still young for hockey.

Ridiculous

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree that retirement rule is strange i would expect that should receive all cap space back - you can propose a poll, just little comment to this case i am not sure if this is retirement because he will play in khl in petersbourg next season. It has similarity to case of radulov, burmistrov or filatov.

Back to top Go down

Post by BossSquig Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Is it his age that makes this different than Tim Thomas last year?
BossSquig
BossSquig
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:56 pm

No fight in the cause, but the age rules are set in stone. They are numbers that we review for all league and determined to be fair. The retire age was something that came into play after the very first hoops offseason! it was review and the ages were determine at that time.

AGE RULE = JASON KID RULE.
prior to this it was your get 100% back. so what happen was guys were give ridiculous contract to vet that we knew we going to retire in one or two year back load the fuck and think we were going to get away with it. we stop FA and fixed the rule for all four league set ages on avg for retire players.

the rule is the rule!

hope this helps!

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm

We didn't really do this with hockey Dan.  We just pretty much just adapted rules.  None of this was voted on. 

30 at hockey is extremely young.  Only being able to get back 2 years is insufficient.  There is no ridiculous rules here.  Even in the NHL, the devils get back his money.  The fact that I'm on the hook for 7 mil because he retired is ridiculous.  He was a top 20 player in the league and only signed for 3 more years.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Dan lol ...you act like you were a part of setting the age rule for hockey lol

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm

He turned 30 3 months ago on April 15.

I'd like to propose a rule change.  Either Hockey should receive back all years until 32 or much more than 2. 

It needs to be changed though.  Guys aren't going around retiring at 30 in hockey.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 pm

BossSquig wrote:Is it his age that makes this different than Tim Thomas last year?

Yes, Tim Thomas was 38.  8 years difference. He's 39 and could come back and start for a team now and might just do that.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Its also strange since he will be playing professional hockey overseas and perhaps come back at some point.
Xezus
Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HELLFISH Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm

DmanofGod1 wrote:We didn't really do this with hockey Dan.  We just pretty much just adapted rules.  None of this was voted on. 

30 at hockey is extremely young.  Only being able to get back 2 years is insufficient.  There is no ridiculous rules here.  Even in the NHL, the devils get back his money.  The fact that I'm on the hook for 7 mil because he retired is ridiculous.  He was a top 20 player in the league and only signed for 3 more years.

no i was not a part of any rule talk D only been here from the start. I would never answer my text when bravo would ask me a question no i never! I and was pointing out the birth of the age retirement rule. and the reason for the rule. I love how everyone in every league cries when the rule effects them and at that they ask for rule to be changed. the age rule has been there from the start.

yeah you guys should toss that rule out give 100% back see how that goes. OH and by the way i was one of the few that did not want this rule. i figure if a team wanted to over pay a vet that would be on them! but i still remember this rule was more about protecting the league then the GM! because GM do quit and could leave a team in a very bad shape which would effect the league. and this i did agree with some limitations are need to protect the leagues.

but don't mind me I just spent the night at the Holiday Inn.

HELLFISH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Yea when the devils dont have to pay a cent on the final 12 years they owe him but I have to pay 7 mil because of a ridiculous rule, I am gonna cry.

Its punishment enough you lose a star in his prime but to have to eat 1 out of the three years left is dumb. "Rules are rules" is not a good excuse for a rule that doesnt make sense. The Jason Kidd rule doesnt have anything to do with 30 year old hockey stars who retire out of no where with a mere 3 years left on their contract. Especially when the average age for hockey is much higher than basketball.

Now if you guys feel there is a huge reason to enforcethe rules on such a situation, then lets here why other than...rules are rules. But if not, lets make it right.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Im fine with putting it to a vote to raise to age limit. But I still want the yearly structure thing so we don't have 40 year olds getting 5 year back loaded deals. I like the idea of getting only certain years cleared per age. Also does anyone know the rules for if he comes back? Do the devils have any rights on him?
Xezus
Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Unoffically they do. They will cry foul if he comes back and tries to sign with someone else. NHLPA is said to agree with them.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xezus Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:21 pm

So I guess the way to handle that would be to give him RFA status to Dustin and if he comes back he will get a new contract based on market value? And obviously Dustin can choose not to match
Xezus
Xezus
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Works for me.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 pm

works for me

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:16 am

Last year I had to buy out Filaov who is younger and left for the KHL the year prior.. Kovy is doing the same thing so wouldn't a buyouy have to happen here as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:07 am

Forgot about Filatov. It would be unfair to forgive Kovalchuk after not doing it for Filatov.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 am

Filatov did not retire. Kovachuk is filing his retirement papers. Big difference. Filatov went to KHL because he couldnt get a job in the NHL.

Thats a whole seperate issue.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 am

Send him to me. I will pay the 3.5 this year for the good of the league.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am

Kovalcuhuk is only filing papers as a way to get out of the NHL, and the NHL is agreeing to turn a blind eye to it. Everyone knows he's going to play in the KHL. 

Filatov did have a job, he had played a few games with the sens that year and was in binghamton when he packed up for the KHL in the middle of his season while playing for the ahl affiliate of an nhl club. he could have been called up at any time that season before leaving 

Both Filatov and Kovalchuk left while under NHL contracts because they preferred to play at home. No difference at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:32 am

not in hockey anymore but other spoets needed Retirement Papers

ilya did

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdm70 Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:35 am

We know he did. The issue is the rules in place that only forgive 2 years.
ericdm70
ericdm70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:37 am

no filatov guy is sayin diff

blame me for signing filatov!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:43 am

No Filatov wanted to play in the NHL but kept getting sent to the minors. So instead of playing hard and correcting his attitude issues...he left for the KHL. He was subsequently released from his contract and told good riddance. He did not retire from the NHL. He could come back any time and sign with anyone.

Kovalchuck retired. He has no intention of coming back. But if he did, he would have to play for the devils and his contract would be reinstated minus the years he retired.

And Eric, I disagree. I dont agree its best for the league that the NHL rules dont punish a team salarywise for a star retiring but a for fun fantasy league does.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DmanofGod1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:04 am

But again I have no problem with the Jason kidd rule. I just think it should be adjusted for hockey. 2 years only for the 30-32 age bracket is not sufficient in case of an extreme circumstance such as this. 30 years old in football is getting old. Basketball,its getting passed your prime and In baseball and hockey, its in your prime.

Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next